2 MORE TO LOVE

* twins * adoption * princesses * recipes * life*

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A family

We have in our household now what my husband calls a "new normal". It isn't well established yet, I am sure it will evolve, but I can see the beginnings of it. For instance:
  • I am now a morning person....yep, you all heard me right. I lovebeing up before everyone else after the babies 5:30 bottle. Not that early some of you may say, but for me it is about 2-3 hours earlier than I used to be up and moving. It's quiet, I can accomplish things quickly without interruption, and I like seeing the sun come up. We will see how long this lasts but I am making it a goal to keep it this way.
  • We also now know that going to the grocery store is NOT a family event. We used to get two carts, each take one kid and split the list. No more of that, the older two have no idea how to handle the freedom of walking around a grocery store as the babies are now in the cart. This is something that will need worked on one older girl at a time, not as a family on our way to my parents' Christmas. Lesson learned.
  • I am finding, too, that babies clothes may be tiny, but they multiply like rabbits in the hamper...laundry is now a perpetual project and gone are the days of saving it all for one big laundry day. We now will just perpetuate the "what is in the wash" thought day after day.

These are just some examples, but wow have our lives changed. A part of me mourns for the days that seem so long ago, but that is only a small part. Our lives are full and blessed and there isn't a moment that I don't find myself amazed at how our family is just picking up and going with it. Who would have known we would be so flexible? We are making some changes, though. Having the older two in the same bed just is NOT working out. It has been 2 months now and I feel like we have tried everything from seperate blankets to noses on the wall until we are falling asleep standing up. I think we are going to break down and get bunk beds. We knew it would be an issue, hoped it would work out and it isn't. Our house is pretty small and the girls' 2 bedrooms are the smallest rooms in the house. Storing the antique bed they sleep in will be hard as it was given to the oldest by a very dear person to me (whom one part of her name comes from) before she died. I like seeing it and cleaning it and knowing it will be in good condition for her some day, storing it is a bit scary to me......BUT sleep is the key to survival and that key is being threatened. I really think that if they can't touch each other we won't have problems.

That also will solve the problem of stuff. Babies come with gear, Christmas comes with gear, the older two's birthdays here close to the holidays come with stuff...our house is bursting at the seams with stuff and we have already downgraded our stuff. We will be going through this week and ridding ourselves of things we no longer play with and clothes we do not wear. We will be purging old papers and trying to find a system of storage. This will helps us work in the new stuff. Bunk Beds in their room will allow them to keep their toys in their room (no floor space to play there now) and free up the front room for use. We don't like being surrounded by stuff and something has to be done.

Did I mention the husband is taking this week off of work. New year means new round of vacation. He is pretty new at his job, so he doesn't have a lot....I was surprised he kept it off after not returning to Vietnam as the little time he has needs to last us all year. He really wants to work on the afore mentioned "stuff" though and is very anxious to bond with the twins. They arepicking up on him quite nicely though, and will soon realize he is a push-over for his girls! They love to play with his whiskers and are not afraid to look deep into his eyes, I think they are trying to figure out what his role is.

One last thing, I notice that the babies are much more receptive to those with dark hair or a darker complexion. I didn't think much of it, but I was odd man out over in Hanoi, now they are probably wondering who all these strange looking people are. Interesting, for sure.

Please still pray for those families still trying to come home!

2 Comments:

At 1/02/2007 7:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenn - I think the changes you are making will be so helpful to you in the long run-many of them are flylady type things- aload a day keeps mt washmore away- as you & brian go through stuff- remember do I love it do I need it, I will keep praying for those still waiting- esp the longs. Can't wait till I can come visit- I'ld say come on over- but it would take you to long to load the van!!

 
At 1/02/2007 8:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenn,

Sounds as if you have alot of things to look forward to in the New Year. Purging things and re-organizing always makes me feel better.
It's good to hear that your husband is bonding well with the girls. How are your older girls doing with the twins?
I am praying that the Longs will be able to leave very soon.

Enjoy your morning time alone,

Stephanie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home