2 MORE TO LOVE

* twins * adoption * princesses * recipes * life*

Monday, December 04, 2006

We have arrived!

This is a post written in sections according to our travel…I decided to spend a bit of time (think 15 hours in a sardine can with nothing else to do!) writing ahead of time as I know when we arrive in Hanoi I will be tired and ready to sleep.

Flight to LAX
This was a DREAM flight! Just you standard 3 and 3 across airplane…probably 40 rows (?) there were only 30-35 people on board! We could all simply pick a row and have 3 seats to ourselves to spread out. That is about where the dream ends though. Typical service in the order of a small glass of beverage and some cheese and crackers. Most of you know I am not a picky eater…but the “refreshments” weren’t very refreshing…and we will just leave it at that. I really shouldn’t complain though as we did leave on time, arrived a bit early and it was a smooth flight.

Flight to Hong Kong:
We are still on this flight as I write. We are flying Cathay Pacific in economy class. I SO badly had wanted to fly EVA’s Evergreen Deluxe ( a step between economy/coach and business class) but there were not many flights available, severely limiting our options should we need to change our flights. It isn’t any bigger leg-room and seat wise than a standard airplane. My legs get very sore at times as there is no place to put them without them bumping into something. Many of you may not know me in person, I am 6 ft tall and still carrying a bit of Olivia and Grace in my “seat” (she says with an embarrassed flush) The seats are comfy though small, and service is TOP notch! As soon as we were in the air (we left about 45 min late as they held the plane for a few passengers trying to make the connecting) we were served a MEAL, a REAL meal. Brian had Beef Merlot with Mashed Potatoes and Veggies, I had Sweet and Sour Pork with Rice. All meals are served with beverage, shrimp and baby green salad with vinaigrette, and warm rolls. Yum! Can’t wait for breakfast and still not sure if I’ll do the standard eggs or try the Congee. Every hour or so they go up and down the isles with trays of water in case you need a quick drink, and around 4 or 5 hours after they cleaned up supper (no CLUE what time it is, not even going to try to figure it out as I think we pass a time zone every hour or so??) they came by with snacks (choice of cold cut sandwich or noodles and shrimp...think Ramen Noodles) and beverages again.

Brian seems to be doing as ok as Brian can with major changes coming in our life and with being out of his own house with his own bed and bathroom and all. Many of you out there that are married know exactly what I am saying. I am doing fine for the most part.
Sleeping is hard for me. I had a minor clausterophic-sleep induced melt down, very minor…just was really tired after supper and needed to sleep. I woke after about 4 hours with an upset stomach. I am thinking it was the sleeping pills I took, could be motion as there is a bit of turbulence every once in a while, though I rarely get motion sick. Getting up and stretching and the afore mention snack helped that, though I was still groggy from the sleeping pills. Not sure I’ll take them again. I wish I had asked the dr for a few good ones as I have a feeling these OTC ones just groggy you and not help you sleep!

We have little TV’s on the back of the seat in front of us and can choose from an array of different movies and entertainment…watched the 2nd Pirate of the Caribbean with supper. I’ve already finished off my Beverly Lewis book, my other gal that I can’t ever remember her name (Wanda Brunstetter??) and am on to one I picked up in the airport. Should have it finished before I arrive in Hanoi which is good as I doubt to have much free reading time after that…especially after Wed when we get the girls.

Did I mention that our Giving and Receiving Ceremony is on Wednesday December 6th. It was supposed to be on the 5th but got moved a day shortly before we left. I hope we are in good enough shape when we get there that we can see some sights before then, that way the days before Brian leaves can be spent on the babies and he will still have been able to see some of their country.

Well, we are over the eastern parts of Russia right now for all I can tell on the map (my Asian geography knowledge is sadly not as good as it should be!) We have about 5 and half hours to go before landing in Hong Kong and only about 45 min between that and our next flight…hope we make it! Hope our luggage makes it!

*********************************************

We are here, in Hanoi that is and it is SO wierd feeling...it is the jet-lag? It is very interesting here and not quite what I expected. People are very friendly, the hotel is nice, the traffic is something that you simply can't learn, you just have to experience it!

Our luggage did not make it...we knew this was a possibility though, so we were prepared. By prepared, I mean mentally, we are leaving to go to a store here soon so we can get prepared physically. We SHOULD have our luggage tomorrow...should. The last part of the LA to Hong Kong flight was hard and long. Nothing wrong with the flight, but I had simply had enough. My legws wanted to stretch out, my feet were swollen, and I hadn't slept much. Not saying I had a fit or break down or anything, but I simply was not enjoying myself. Going home at least I will have the babies to care for, that will help pass the time as well as the bulkhead seats so I"ll have leg room...something to look forward to.

The congee was good, think a rice porridge with mushrooms, seafood, and ginger in it. Then we were served another good meal on our Vietnam flight. We were lucky to make that flight. We had only 40 minutes to go out of the terminal and back through security after our Hong Kong flight. We made it just in time and even were able to use the bathroom, but I don't like things being that close.

I am really tired, so I am not going to write more except that I found out today the G&R might not be until the 7th now, frustrating. BUT I did also find out that tomorrow we will go visit the babies...I am so very excited to finally hold them. Must go and buy some water and then get some supper with a fellow adopting family before crashing in our beautifully made bed.

More later when my brain is functioning better.
Jenn

8 Comments:

At 12/04/2006 6:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow- what a flight you had. I am sure for the babies it is well worth it. Not sure I could be cooped up for that long- I wanted to get up and walk around for you as I read your post. Praying for you & your family.

 
At 12/04/2006 8:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew,

I am glad to see you all made it safely to Hanoi. The traveling is a killer though. It was very hard on me when we went to get our daughter.
Thank you for taking time to write me. I will try to contact those ladies soon.
Sorry about the ceremony being moved again, but maybe that will give you a chance to rest up before you become a fulltime mommy to twins.
Can't wait to hear all about your first meeting with your babies.

Hanging on every word,

Stephanie

 
At 12/04/2006 9:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are there safe and sound! I am sorry the trip was long and hard, but you are there! I hope your luggage has found its way back to you by now! And I hope the G&R ceremony doesn't get moved again!

 
At 12/04/2006 12:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you made it safely, Jenn! How exciting that you get to see your twins soon. I can't wait to hear all about it!

 
At 12/04/2006 12:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh....and I've been praying for your girls back home and your G&R ceremony and your dh's time there, etc. Just wanted you to know that.

 
At 12/04/2006 12:46 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Jenn,
So good to hear from you. I love the detailed posts. I'm taking mental notes. Can't wait to hear about you holding your girls for the very first time.

 
At 12/04/2006 12:56 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

I am so happy to see that you are in Vietnam. I can't wait for you to meet your girls. Sorry about the delay. I am sure that is frustrating, but it will all be okay when you are holding your twins.

 
At 12/04/2006 1:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenn,
I can't even begin to imagine how you are feeling right now. Scared, eager, excited, nervous and so on I'm sure. I hope everything goes well. I'm sorry that your G&R date was moved. I know you must be frustrated. At least you get to see the girls but I know it will be extremely hard for you to leave them. I hope you can at least enjoy their country and their beautiful culture while you wait although I know those beautiful girls will be on your mind the whole time. I can't wait for your next post. I also can't wait till you get back because that means there are 2 more babies to hold!! You know how much fun that is! Good luck. We're praying for you here at home!!
Martha

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home